he’s worried his isn’t powerful enough.
The preview video
ABC774 Interview with Lindy Burns
What is Elegy?
Elegy is the Australian premiere of an award-winning work from Transport Theatre in the UK exploring one man’s personal story of love and flight.
Based on interviews with gay refugees and inspired by the work of photojournalist Bradley Secker, Elegy journeys through a no-man’s land of empty train stations, treacherous border crossings and bomb-blasted towns to explore the unimaginable homophobia still occurring in the Middle East.
Directed by John Kachoyan (MTC, Bell Shakespeare) and featuring a powerhouse performance by Nick Simpson-Deeks (Company, Winners & Losers), the work is also a powerful love story, cleverly fusing music, movement and factual storytelling to lure its audience into a theatrical, playful, and ultimately devastating world.
It has been selected as a Premiere Event as part of the 2016 Midsumma Festival and will show at Gasworks Theatre, 21 Graham Street, Albert Park (Tram #1, Stop 31) from Tuesday 19 January to Sunday 6 February 2016.
The running time is 60 minutes.
Why should I go?
- Enjoy a stimulating work that shines a spotlight on the global issues faced by many gay refugees
- The perfect opportunity to develop and challenge your taste in theatre as you head into 2016
- Brought to you by a high quality, award-winning creative team (check them out here)
- Paired with a free exhibition of Bradley Secker’s acclaimed Kütmaan series at the Gasworks Gallery for the duration of the season
- It’s affordable – tickets start at just $18
- Make a night of it and enjoy an exclusive dinner package thanks to The Vincent, Albert Park (see below)
- Be part of something bigger – enjoy a unique experience in a communal setting with like-minded individuals
- And finally, come and connect with a work that has the capacity to change the way we treat each other
We’ve assembled some of the best talent in Australian theatre for Elegy – check them out in more detail here.
Exclusive Dinner Package
Make a night of it and enjoy an exclusive dinner package with your Elegy ticket thanks to the lovely people at The Vincent in Albert Park.
Situated just minutes from Gasworks Arts Park on Victoria Avenue, The Vincent is the perfect place to enjoy some fine dining pre or post show!
To enjoy a 2-course meal (option of 3 entrees and 3 mains to choose from) with a glass of house wine for just $45 per head, be sure to phone ahead (9682 6444) and make a reservation, and let them know you are after the “Gasworks 2 course special” when making your booking.